By Netera Landar
“The
thing I enjoy most is knowing that the folks attending are enjoying the
musical experience and the way the songs move our emotions. Over time,
you can see camaraderie and friendships building, and that is the most
precious of all.”
---Steven Strikker
Steven and Bec Strikker are often in the audience during Austin Moores’ sets. The Angels let him know when singers are present so he can announce it during his shows. I took it a step further by asking Steven for an interview. I wanted to learn more about his interest in music, what he sings, and whether he plays the guitar.
The only way I could see Steven in action was creating an avatar in the grid he performs in. So off to the Zodiack grid I went, and I was not disappointed. I already knew some of the residents and felt very comfortable there. They even offered me a beautiful home so I could spend more time on the grid.
Steven’s musical inspiration began when he watched a PBS concert featuring pianist Arthur Rubinstein. He wasn’t even five years old when his mother recognized his interest and enrolled him in piano lessons. For several years, he participated in numerous youth concerts, continued piano lessons, and learned to read sheet music, laying the foundation for his knowledge. The concert band provided additional training.
Steven said that learning to play your favorite songs was done by repeatedly playing records. Today, you can search for lessons online for most of the songs you’re interested in learning.
“I continued participating in concert and stage band through high school graduation,” said Steven. “Stage band led me to take up guitar because we had an overabundance of drummers and a shortage of guitarists.”
Then came the formation of a rock band with the goal of performing at parties. After a few years of performing with a group in front of live audiences, the band took time to focus on establishing their personal careers and getting on track with their life goals.
When Steven began working in the new tech industry during the Internet's introduction, he networked with several other hobbyist musicians.
“I played in bands made up of fellow co-workers during the startup frenzy of the 90’s. I met up with a drummer looking to get a band together to play private parties, weddings in particular,” he said. “Eleven years of fairly solid experience was gained and enjoyed by all. The next leg of my musical journey was inspired by a friend of a mutual friend, and the pub band known as Midway was born.”
Steven has wonderful memories of time shared with Abe, Curtis, Dan and Dean. Midway represented over ten years of his musical journey. Today, he performs on his own with backing tracks. He admitted that he misses the synergy of performing with other musicians.
The following artists continue to motivate Steven: Johnny Cash for country music, John Denver for Folk, and Led Zeppelin for rock and roll. His previous focus on classical music has gifted him with an appreciation for all genres of music.
“The most influential time period for me was around the U.S. Bicentennial in 1976. I was fortunate to be able to attend quite a few concerts in the area I live in, around Detroit, Michigan, either at Cobo Hall, Joe Louis, Pontiac Stadium, or Pine Knob Music Theater during my youth, as well as later on,” he said.
I asked Steven how he learned about Second Life. He had been playing the PC game “Sims” with his daughter, learning to make furniture and clothing to bring into the game and share with the game’s fan base. When a fellow techie co-worker mentioned that he should be making and selling virtual items in Second Life, he began researching the virtual world concept created by Second Life. He joined in 2012.
Steven found Second Life’s music scene interesting and engaging. He was curious about how singers and musicians brought their music in-world, so he spent time in the Nashville region singing and playing his guitar in local voice. Avatars passing him on the sim asked each other if he was a new bot.
He learned how to set up his home studio by asking DJs questions. They told him how to rent a stream and recommended software he could use to broadcast.
“I use Mixxx for streaming because it’s simple, free, and meets all my needs, and Sparrow Industries streaming service is impeccable. I keep my setup simple, with everything just as I would for a wedding or a pub gig,” he said. “Everything is input into my Mixx software and subsequently to the region I’m performing at. As a result, I hope what I hear in the studio is quite like what is heard in-world.”
His first gig in Second Life was at the Merry Prankster, during open-mic nights. He then played regularly at Star Dancer’s club before moving on to OpenSim venues.
“InWorldz was a hot new thing, and I played there for many years at Paradise Piazza, and then again in Great Canadian Grid and Bridgemere grids at the same club, chasing it as both InWorldz and GCG shut down,” he said. “I’ve been performing at Zodiazk grid’s Hooligan’s night club for about a year now, enjoying it immensely.”
Steven enjoys OpenSim because the atmosphere is more relaxed; he doesn’t have to worry about earning tips to pay his monthly tier. He knows there are many talented composers and artists in what he calls the “Big City” grid of Second Life, compared with those in OpenSim. He wants to add to OpenSim’s entertainment lineup.
“The thing I enjoy most is knowing that the folks attending are enjoying the musical experience and the way the songs move our emotions. Over time, you can see camaraderie and friendships building, and that is the most precious of all,” he told me.
Asked what he finds challenging performing in-world, he said, “Sometimes I play what I call an unplugged set with only me singing, playing guitar, and occasionally harmonica, but I usually play with what most would call backing tracks of the songs I perform, minus the lead vocal and guitar parts that I play. Keeping time with backing tracks is a challenge because those musicians never miss a beat and always follow the structure of the song to a tee.”
Right now, he’s fine with a once-weekly performance schedule. It leaves free time for future real-life performances with a band at his favorite pub. He’ll keep it casual, so it doesn’t feel like his day job.
He attends the sets of Second Life and OpenSim singers who inspire him with their talent. He named a few that he admires and listens to regularly, and he said there are many more. On his list are: Max Kleene, Noma Falta, Mikie String, Effinjay, Anderson Parkes, Marqs DeSade, Austin Moores, and Ms. Natalie.
Who has supported him along the way? According to Steven, everyone. His audience, friends, and family alike.
“The time you have taken to interview me is part of that support, as well. My partner, Bec, devotes substantial time and effort to creating and managing everything from my set to scheduling, as well as inspiration for new songs to learn. I greatly appreciate that.”
Check out Hooligan’s on Zodiack grid. Use OpenSim Firestorm.
hop://zodiack.net:8002/Laredo/129/158/23
---Steven Strikker
Steven and Bec Strikker are often in the audience during Austin Moores’ sets. The Angels let him know when singers are present so he can announce it during his shows. I took it a step further by asking Steven for an interview. I wanted to learn more about his interest in music, what he sings, and whether he plays the guitar.
The only way I could see Steven in action was creating an avatar in the grid he performs in. So off to the Zodiack grid I went, and I was not disappointed. I already knew some of the residents and felt very comfortable there. They even offered me a beautiful home so I could spend more time on the grid.
Steven’s musical inspiration began when he watched a PBS concert featuring pianist Arthur Rubinstein. He wasn’t even five years old when his mother recognized his interest and enrolled him in piano lessons. For several years, he participated in numerous youth concerts, continued piano lessons, and learned to read sheet music, laying the foundation for his knowledge. The concert band provided additional training.
Steven said that learning to play your favorite songs was done by repeatedly playing records. Today, you can search for lessons online for most of the songs you’re interested in learning.
“I continued participating in concert and stage band through high school graduation,” said Steven. “Stage band led me to take up guitar because we had an overabundance of drummers and a shortage of guitarists.”
Then came the formation of a rock band with the goal of performing at parties. After a few years of performing with a group in front of live audiences, the band took time to focus on establishing their personal careers and getting on track with their life goals.
When Steven began working in the new tech industry during the Internet's introduction, he networked with several other hobbyist musicians.
“I played in bands made up of fellow co-workers during the startup frenzy of the 90’s. I met up with a drummer looking to get a band together to play private parties, weddings in particular,” he said. “Eleven years of fairly solid experience was gained and enjoyed by all. The next leg of my musical journey was inspired by a friend of a mutual friend, and the pub band known as Midway was born.”
Steven has wonderful memories of time shared with Abe, Curtis, Dan and Dean. Midway represented over ten years of his musical journey. Today, he performs on his own with backing tracks. He admitted that he misses the synergy of performing with other musicians.
The following artists continue to motivate Steven: Johnny Cash for country music, John Denver for Folk, and Led Zeppelin for rock and roll. His previous focus on classical music has gifted him with an appreciation for all genres of music.
“The most influential time period for me was around the U.S. Bicentennial in 1976. I was fortunate to be able to attend quite a few concerts in the area I live in, around Detroit, Michigan, either at Cobo Hall, Joe Louis, Pontiac Stadium, or Pine Knob Music Theater during my youth, as well as later on,” he said.
I asked Steven how he learned about Second Life. He had been playing the PC game “Sims” with his daughter, learning to make furniture and clothing to bring into the game and share with the game’s fan base. When a fellow techie co-worker mentioned that he should be making and selling virtual items in Second Life, he began researching the virtual world concept created by Second Life. He joined in 2012.
Steven found Second Life’s music scene interesting and engaging. He was curious about how singers and musicians brought their music in-world, so he spent time in the Nashville region singing and playing his guitar in local voice. Avatars passing him on the sim asked each other if he was a new bot.
He learned how to set up his home studio by asking DJs questions. They told him how to rent a stream and recommended software he could use to broadcast.
“I use Mixxx for streaming because it’s simple, free, and meets all my needs, and Sparrow Industries streaming service is impeccable. I keep my setup simple, with everything just as I would for a wedding or a pub gig,” he said. “Everything is input into my Mixx software and subsequently to the region I’m performing at. As a result, I hope what I hear in the studio is quite like what is heard in-world.”
His first gig in Second Life was at the Merry Prankster, during open-mic nights. He then played regularly at Star Dancer’s club before moving on to OpenSim venues.
“InWorldz was a hot new thing, and I played there for many years at Paradise Piazza, and then again in Great Canadian Grid and Bridgemere grids at the same club, chasing it as both InWorldz and GCG shut down,” he said. “I’ve been performing at Zodiazk grid’s Hooligan’s night club for about a year now, enjoying it immensely.”
Steven enjoys OpenSim because the atmosphere is more relaxed; he doesn’t have to worry about earning tips to pay his monthly tier. He knows there are many talented composers and artists in what he calls the “Big City” grid of Second Life, compared with those in OpenSim. He wants to add to OpenSim’s entertainment lineup.
“The thing I enjoy most is knowing that the folks attending are enjoying the musical experience and the way the songs move our emotions. Over time, you can see camaraderie and friendships building, and that is the most precious of all,” he told me.
Asked what he finds challenging performing in-world, he said, “Sometimes I play what I call an unplugged set with only me singing, playing guitar, and occasionally harmonica, but I usually play with what most would call backing tracks of the songs I perform, minus the lead vocal and guitar parts that I play. Keeping time with backing tracks is a challenge because those musicians never miss a beat and always follow the structure of the song to a tee.”
Right now, he’s fine with a once-weekly performance schedule. It leaves free time for future real-life performances with a band at his favorite pub. He’ll keep it casual, so it doesn’t feel like his day job.
He attends the sets of Second Life and OpenSim singers who inspire him with their talent. He named a few that he admires and listens to regularly, and he said there are many more. On his list are: Max Kleene, Noma Falta, Mikie String, Effinjay, Anderson Parkes, Marqs DeSade, Austin Moores, and Ms. Natalie.
Who has supported him along the way? According to Steven, everyone. His audience, friends, and family alike.
“The time you have taken to interview me is part of that support, as well. My partner, Bec, devotes substantial time and effort to creating and managing everything from my set to scheduling, as well as inspiration for new songs to learn. I greatly appreciate that.”
Check out Hooligan’s on Zodiack grid. Use OpenSim Firestorm.
hop://zodiack.net:8002/Laredo/129/158/23
Netera Landar
Other Grids







No comments:
Post a Comment